Willkommen – Welcome

Friedhof Estherweg– english translation below –

Der jüdische Friedhof in Solingen wird bereits um 1718 erwähnt. Der älteste erhaltene Grabstein stammt aus dem Jahr 1820. Die letzte Beerdigung fand im April 1941 statt. Seit der Zerstörung der Solinger Synagoge im November 1938 ist der Friedhof am Estherweg das einzige und letzte öffentlich sichtbare Zeugnis der früheren jüdischen Gemeinde.

Im Herbst 1987 übernahm die Städtische Gesamtschule Solingen die Patenschaft über den Friedhof. Seitdem wird er von einer Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Schule betreut und gepflegt. Michael Sandmöller, der die Leitung der AG 1990 von Wilhelm Bramann übernahm, bietet regelmäßig öffentliche Führungen an.

Im April 2015 entschied die Schulkonferenz der Gesamtschule, dass sie in Zukunft den Namen des jüdischen Industriellen Alexander Coppel tragen soll, der sich in besonderer Weise für die soziale Wohlfahrt in seiner Heimatstadt engagierte.

Alexander-Coppel-Logo

The Jewish cemetery of Solingen – last witness of a past community

The Jewish cemetery of Solingen was mentioned in 1718 for the first time. The oldest gravestone dates from 1820 and the last burial took place in April 1941. Since the demolition of the synagogue in 1938 the cemetery on Estherweg is the last and only publicly visible testimony of the former Jewish community.

In the fall of 1987, the Municipal Comprehensive School of Solingen took over the sponsorship of the cemetery. Since then, it is maintained by a pupils‘ project group. Michael Sandmöller succeeded Wilhelm Bramann being the mentor of the group in 1990. He regulary offers public guided tours at the cemetery.

In April 2015 the school conference decided to change the school’s name to Alexander-Coppel-Gesamtschule to honour and remember Alexander Coppel, the Jewish firm owner who committed himself to the improvement of social welfare in his hometown for many years.